A U.S. government review board has decided that the oldest prisoner at Guantanamo is not eligible for release.
The Periodic Review Board determined that Saifullah Paracha must remain held without charge at the U.S. base in Cuba because of what it called a "continuing significant threat to the security of the United States."
The board also cited past involvement in terrorist activities including contacts with Osama bin Laden and other al-Qaida figures.
A lawyer for the 68-year-old prisoner released the review board statement Thursday.
The former businessman from Pakistan had his PRB hearing last month. Attorney David Remes says Paracha has significant health problems after 14 years in custody and should not be considered a threat.
Remes said the prisoner hopes to allay the board's concerns at his next review.