Florida Senator Marco Rubio said Thursday he has no plans to run for governor, or consider being a vice presidential candidate in 2016.
He spoke as he returned to the Senate two days after dropping out of the 2016 presidential race.
Rubio suspended his campaign Tuesday after losing his home state’s primary to Donald Trump. As he returned back to work, he sidestepped the idea of running in 2020 and did not back a candidate for 2016. He also ruled out running for any other office anytime soon.
“I’m not interested in being vice president,” he told reporters. “I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, I’m not running for governor of Florida...I will be a private citizen in January.”
Rubio had previously promised not to run for re-election to the Senate.
Looking back at his campaign, Rubio said he regretted his verbal spat with Trump and added his campaign “was just not what the electorate wanted,” conceding that the 2013 immigration reform bill ‘was a factor” in the failure of the campaign.
“We ran a race I’m very proud of, it's just not what the electorate wanted this year,” he said.
He also weighed in on Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.
“I know enough about his record to know I wouldn't be supporting him,” Rubio said, but later added that he would be prepared to meet with Garland.
Fox News’ Chad Pergram contributed to this report.