Politics

Trump claims victory with two-hour CNBC debate

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is declaring a victory over the press, writing on social media that CNBC has agreed to keep its GOP debate later this month at just two hours, as opposed to the three-hour debate last hosted by CNN in September.

"CNBC has just agreed that the debate will be TWO HOURS," Trump said Friday on Twitter. "Fantastic news for all, especially the millions of people who will be watching!"

Trump had previously complained about CNN's three-hour debate, and called it too long and unfair to people for making them watch for so long.

It wasn't clear that CNBC had settled on a debate of any length, and CNBC did not respond to a request for comment to confirm Trump's claim. But Trump, candidate Ben Carson and some of the other GOP candidate staffers have also reportedly complained about the possibility that CNBC's debate would be three hours and not allow opening and closing statements.

Related Story: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2574118/

CNBC indicated that it's still negotiating with the campaigns on the exact structure of the debate, which is set for Oct. 28.

"Our goal is to host the most substantive debate possible," a CNBC spokesman said in a statement Thursday. "Our practice in the past has been to forego opening statements to allow more time to address the critical issues that matter most to the American people. We started a dialogue yesterday with all of the campaigns involved and we will certainly take the candidates' views on the format into consideration as we finalize the debate structure."

Read more on WashingtonExaminer.com