Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Politics

State Department

US embassy in Yemen closed over 'credible' threat, officials say

sanaa2.jpg

May 8, 2014: U.S. Marines on the roof of the Sheraton Sana'a Hotel where U.S. diplomats and embassy staffers stay in Sana'a. (reuters)

The U.S. Embassy in Yemen was closed earlier this week due to a “credible” threat, U.S. officials confirm to Fox News.

A senior U.S. official said the embassy in Sana’a was closed two days ago and remains closed while “the threat is assessed.” Another official said the embassy will re-open “when appropriate.”

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement Wednesday the closure of the embassy is a precautionary measure implemented due to concerns over recent attacks against Western interests in the Yemen.

“The United States remains firmly committed to supporting Yemen as it works to achieve meaningful reform through its ongoing transition process and to enhance security for the Yemeni people,” she said.

Fox News' Jennifer Griffin contributed to this report