The lawyer who led an investigation that determined Gov. Chris Christie was not involved in the bridge closure scandal told Fox News’ Megyn Kelly Thursday there is not a “shred of evidence” Christie knew anything.
Randy Mastro, a former federal prosecutor, released a report on his team’s investigation Thursday. The report relied on interviews with officials in the Christie administration, including the governor, and 250,000 documents.
Mastro said on “The Kelly File” his investigation was exhaustive and thorough, and in the end completely exonerated Christie.
“There is not a shred of evidence that Governor Christie knew anything about this lane realignment decision before it happened. Not a shred,” he said.
Mastro dismissed critics who claim the report is biased toward Christie because the firm was brought in by the governor. Mastro said he is a registered Democrat, and went into the probe with a completely open mind.
“It serves no one’s interest, not mine or my law firm’s, not Governor Christie’s, not the governor’s office or the people of the state of New Jersey for us to do anything other than to try and get to the truth,” he said.
The closure of lanes near the George Washington Bridge that caused four days of massive gridlock in the community of Fort Lee in September have become a major scandal for Christie, a possible 2016 Republican presidential contender. Christie said on a radio show Wednesday that the events will not affect his decisions about his political future.
The report, issued at Mastro's New York law office, concludes that former Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official David Wildstein and ex-Christie aide Bridget Kelly were behind the closures and that they were targeting Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich. But it did not conclude why they wanted to hurt the Democrat and said there was no evidence that it was because he refused to endorse Christie for re-election last year.