The Yemeni president apologized to the United States Thursday over the attack on the U.S. Embassy in the capital of Sanaa, after protesters flooded the perimeter and breached the walls in the latest attack on a U.S. diplomatic post.
A statement from the Yemeni Embassy in Washington, D.C., said President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi "extends his sincere apologies to President Obama and to the people of the United States of America for the attack that occurred earlier today on the U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen."
The statement said the Yemeni president ordered officials to "conduct an expeditious and thorough investigation into today's events" and pledged that those responsible "will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law."
The Yemeni government also claimed Thursday to have "restored order" at the scene in Sanaa.
A senior Obama administration official told Fox News the U.S. government is "doing everything we can" to help the mission in Yemen. The official said the Yemeni government is "working with us to maintain order and protect our facilities and people."
The official said the protests "appear to be motivated" by the same anti-Islam film that was linked to demonstrations in Cairo and potentially in Benghazi, Libya -- though some have speculated that the deadly Libya attack might have been "coordinated" and not a spontaneous protest.
The attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi left the U.S. ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three others dead.
The Yemeni government said in its statement early Thursday that no casualties have been reported in the Sanaa incident.
Pentagon and U.S. Navy officials are monitoring the situation in Yemen, but so far no request for military assistance has been made, Fox News was told.