Update 1:57 p.m.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs would not answer reporters who followed up on this story in Thursday's daily briefing. Instead, Gibbs would only say repeatedly, "I don't have anything to add to what I said in March."  Several members of the press corps pressed Gibbs on whether the White House offered Rep. Sestak a job in order to stay out of the Senate race.  But Gibbs wouldn't bite.  Check back here through the day to see if the RNC issues another statement from Chairman Steele. 

 

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele is calling on the White House to come clean on whether it offered Congressman Joe Sestak a job to keep him from entering the Pennsylvania Senate race.

Sestak defeated incumbent Senator Arlen Specter in Tuesday's democratic primary. Specter had switched parties because he didn't believe he could win reelection as a Republican.

The White House for months has deferred questions about a deal for Sestak, who claimed in February that the Obama administration offered him a federal job if he dropped out of the primary.

In March, Sestak told Fox's Bret Baier that the White House offered him a job so as not to enter the primary race, but wouldn't elaborate.   "To go beyond that, Bret, doesn't serve any purpose," Sestak said at the time.   "There's nothing to be gained by focusing on this politics stuff." 

On Thursday Republicans accused the White House of obstruction.

"It is unacceptable for an administration that touts itself as the ‘most transparent’ in history to continue to stonewall a significant and potentially devastating accusation of political corruption," RNC Chairman Michael Steele said in a statement. "And, until a thorough and public investigation has been conducted and the air is cleared, this matter will continue to cloud the President each time he steps foot in Pennsylvania to place the establishment mantle on Joe Sestak between now and November."

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs has continually brushed aside questions from reporters about whether the administration put pressure on Sestak.

He repeatedly told members of the press that he would look into the allegations, but always came up short. That was until mid-March, when he finally admit there had been some discussions with Sestak.  Still, Gibbs appeared to deny any quid pro quo had taken place, telling reporters, "I'm told that whatever conversations have been had are not problematic."

Thursday's daily briefing at 1:30 p.m. will be the first since Sestak's victory Tuesday evening and Gibbs is sure to be asked about the results. [foxlivestream]

For more on the Sestak story click here.