OCALA, Fla. -- Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer is under criminal investigation after an audit found he awarded himself and his executive director a fundraising contract that paid them about $200,000.
Greer owned a 60 percent share of a corporation set up to raise money for the party. Executive director Delmar Johnson owned the other 40 percent of the corporation, which received a 10 percent commission on money raised for the party, the audit found.
Party Chairman John Thrasher reported the findings to the attorney general's office, which referred the case to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
Greer was Gov. Charlie Crist's hand-picked chairman. He resigned under pressure in February.