Published May 06, 2009
The White House plans to soon release a photo from the controversial Air Force One-style flyover of Manhattan last week, despite claiming earlier that there was no need to release any official images from the incident.
White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters Wednesday that an internal report will probably be completed this week.
"We'll release its findings and release a photo," he said.
That was after Gibbs indicated Tuesday that the White House would not release any images.
"I've watched CNN," he said at the time, noting the considerable coverage from amateur footage. "I didn't notice a lack of archival material from that flight."
The flyover triggered panic among New Yorkers as well as the internal review by the Obama administration.
Officials last week sent an Air Force One backup plane to fly over lower Manhattan to capture the presidential plane with the Statue of Liberty in the background. The public was not notified in advance that there should be no cause for alarm.
Some New Yorkers were reminded of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, sparking chaos as employees evacuated office buildings and inundated emergency call centers to raise the alarm.
President Obama soon after denounced the photo-op, which cost $328,835, calling it "a mistake."
White House Military Office Director Louis Caldera accepted responsibility and apologized for allowing the exercise.