For a Benghazi victim family member, this has been a watershed week. After hundreds of phone calls, many emails, written articles and a consistent push for the truth, we now have a resolution to create a House Select Committee on Benghazi.
Earlier this week I reached out to the offices of Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and asked them to allow the process to continue. I asked them to pick individuals who are truly non-partisan and who want to discover what happened in Benghazi.
Here are the individuals I would like to see serve on the Benghazi Select Committee:
Rep. Justin Amash-R-MI
Rep. John Barrow-D-GA
Rep. Marsha Blackburn-R-TN
Rep. Ron Desantis-R-FL
Rep. Tammy Duckworth-D-IL
Rep. Jeff Fortenberry-R-NE
Rep. Louie Gohmert-R-TX
Rep. Jim Jordan-R-OH
Rep. Mike McIntyre-D-NC
Rep. Patrick Murphy-D-FL
Rep. Martha Roby-R-AL
Rep. Kyrsten Sinema-D-AZ
Here is what we know about Benghazi:
1. The diplomatic outpost and CIA annex in Benghazi did not have adequate security when they were attacked on Sept. 11, 2012.
2. Newly released emails show that the Obama administration knew on the evening of Sept. 11, 2012, that the attacks were planned and carried out by terrorists.
3. Instead of accepting responsibility due to incompetence and the president’s failing foreign policies at 10:07 p.m. that night, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton issued a press release blaming “inflammatory material posted on the Internet” as being the trigger point for the attack.
4. The terrorist attack as antithetical to President Obama’s 2012 campaign speeches of Al Qaeda “being on the run.” Faced with a tough re-election campaign, a decision was made to hide and politicize the facts.
5. For almost 20 months the Obama administration and its supporters have stonewalled and ridiculed any attempt to find out the truth about what happened in Benghazi.
Here’s what we would like to know:
1. Why were we in Benghazi and why was there such a strong CIA presence?
2. Why were 23 requests for additional security by Ambassador Christopher Stevens denied?
3. What was the coordinated response force status on September 11, 2012?
4. Who gave the order to stand down?
5. What was the president doing on the evening of the attack, and why did he go to a fundraiser the next day?
President Obama and the American mainstream media have both been missing in action since September 11, 2012. As Tommy Vietor would say, “Hey dude, it has been almost two years and no one has been brought to justice.”
Benghazi is not a partisan issue. It is a truth issue.
Michael Ingmire is a musician, writer, and activist based in North Carolina. He is the uncle of Sean Smith, one of the four Americans killed during the attacks in Benghazi on September 11, 2012.