Bake for 16 minutes, cool for 30 minutes
1 package (18.25 ounces) banana supreme cake mix
11/3 cups banana-pineapple nectar, Kern's®
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, Dole®
1 can (12 ounces) whipped cream frosting
2 tablespoons powdered sugar, Domino®/C&H®
1 teaspoon imitation strawberry extract
2 drops red food coloring
1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
1 can (12 ounces) whipped chocolate frosting
1/2 cup nut topping, Fisher®
24 maraschino cherries with stems, drained and patted dry
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line twenty four 21/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, nectar, oil, and eggs with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Scrape down side of bowl; beat for 2 minutes on medium. Add crushed pineapple; stir until combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
3. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups; cool completely on rack.
4. For the strawberry frosting, in a medium bowl, stir together whipped cream frosting, powdered sugar, strawberry extract, and red food coloring until smooth.
5. To frost cupcakes, insert a large round tip into a large pastry bag. Fill pastry bag half full with equal amounts of the strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate frostings, placing each frosting in a wide strip along the side of the bag (you'll have 3 separate stripes of frosting). Pipe a large swirl of frosting on each cupcake, refilling pastry bag with frostings as needed. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the nut topping on each cupcake; top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry.
CARROT CAKE WHOOPIE PIES
Makes 12 pies
Baker for 10 minutes
1 (18-ounce) box carrot cake mix
1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened
1 carrot, grated
½ cup raisins
Ingredients for the filling
1 pound cream cheese
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl, beat together cake mix with butter, slowly add the eggs, and mix until incorporated. Stir in the grated carrot and raisins. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and, using a small ice cream scoop, drop batter onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet in mounds about 2 tablespoons each, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown, rotating pans halfway through. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on pan before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer until well combined, light, and fluffy.