Try these comfort foods at 350 calories or less!
Charleston Shrimp and Grits
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 Canadian bacon slices
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
(or use low-fat; optional)
3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
Chopped scallions (dark green tops only), for serving
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bacon, onions, and bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the white wine and let it bubble until it is mostly evaporated, about 1 minute.
2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the chicken broth and stir until dissolved. Add the remaining broth to the skillet along with the half-and-half and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the grits according to the package directions.
4. Serve the shrimp and sauce over the grits, and top with the scallions.
Mini Savannah Crab Cakes
8 ounces fresh or canned lump crabmeat, drained if canned
6 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions (white and light green parts only)
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
1. In a large bowl, stir together the crabmeat, 3 tablespoons of the bread crumbs, the scallions, mayonnaise, jalapeños, egg white, Old Bay, and mustard.
2. Form the mixture into 1½-inch patties. Place the remaining 3 tablespoons bread crumbs in a bowl. Dip each crab cake in the bread crumbs to lightly coat. Spray a skillet gen- erously with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Cook the crab cakes in batches, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. To prevent sticking, spray the skillet with more cooking spray between batches.
Quick Pickled Cucumbers
2 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced thinly
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar