Lawyer in Christie probe defends bridge investigation
Written by / Special Guests Randy Mastro
March 28, 2014 / America's Newsroom
The attorney who led the investigation that concluded N.J. Gov. Chris Christie was not involved in the bridge scandal defended his findings Friday during an appearance on "America's Newsroom."
Lawyer Randy Mastro dismissed critics who claim the report is biased because the firm was brought in by the governor, calling himself a "lifelong Democrat" who has worked on both sides of the aisle.
"I had no relationship with Chris Christie," Mastro told co-host Martha MacCallum. "I am a lawyer, former federal prosecutor, who let a team of former federal prosecutors with more than 50 years of government experience to do a professional investigation to get to the gut truth."
The report released Thursday relied on interviews with Christie and officials in his administration, and 250,000 documents that included personal emails and text messages. Mastro defended the thoroughness of the investigation despite some key figures refusing to cooperate.
"I'm confident because we followed the evidence and the facts. The evidence and the facts tell us that Governor Christie had no knowledge of this lane realignment decision before it was made, and he played no role whatsoever in the decision to realign these lanes."
"The normal lines of communication were not going on during this period."
The report, issued at Mastro's New York law office, concludes that former Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official David Wildstein and ex-Christie aide Bridget Kelly were behind the closures and that they were targeting Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich. But it did not conclude why they wanted to hurt the Democrat and said there was no evidence that it was because he refused to endorse Christie for re-election last year.
Fox senior political analyst
Co-host, "The Five"; Fox News political analyst
The Wall Street Journal