Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this Honduran banana bread is very dense but super moist and oh, so sweet. The unique ingredient used in this recipe is flaked coconut. It’s like coconut bread taken to a whole new banana level.
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
• 2 tablespoons lite cream cheese, room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 2 cups flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ⅛ teaspoon salt
• 1 cup mashed banana (2-3 bananas)
• ½ cup skim milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ cup coconut, flaked
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed in mixer.
3. While beating add sugar and egg.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir until well-blended.
5. Combine banana, milk and vanilla until well combined.
6. Alternate adding portions of the flour mixture and the banana mixture to the butter, cream cheese and egg mixture; mix after each addition. Stir in coconut.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
Cuban style shredded pork recipe
Argentine lentil stew recipe
Hispanic Heritage: How to make Mexican horchata
Miami's Little Havana Serves Up A Dose Of Nostalgia
Best pix of the week
Q&A with Juan Galarraga, a senior VP at Target who started out folding shirts
Tough economy strains a much-loved (and very costly) Latino tradition, the quinceañera
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.