You can either follow the recipe or improvise with what’s in your pantry — that’s how versatile lentil stew can be. A unique combination of flavors including barbecue sauce is what sets the Argentinian recipe apart from the rest. Make sure to give it a try this Fall!
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 8 cups water
• 1 vegetable bouillon cube
• 1 pound lentils, rinsed
• ½ cup barbecue sauce
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
• 1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
• 1 medium apple - peeled, cored and diced
• 2 large tomatoes, diced
• 1 bay leaf
• ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1. In large pot, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until tender. Add water and bouillon cube, bring to a boil.
2. Add lentils, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients and continue to simmer 20 minutes. (Add more water for desired consistency.)
4. Serve with crusty bread.
1. You may half the ingredients for a family supper.
2. For additional heartiness, add a pound of cooked sausage (crumbled or sliced)
Serves a crowd.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.