Enjoy and Happy Mother's Day!
• 2 pounds beef boneless round cubes
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 cups beef stock
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
• ¼ teaspoon onion powder
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 1 pound wide egg noodles
• 1 cup sweet peas
Brussel Sprouts Ingredients
• 1 pound brussel sprouts
• ⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
• ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
• ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
• Salt and pepper
1. Heat oil in a deep pot. Generously season beef with salt and pepper.
2. Add beef to hot pot and brown on all sides.
3. Transfer beef to a plate.
4. Add ½ cup red wine to deglaze the pot. Then add tomato paste and stir until dissolved and well-combined.
5. Then add beef stock, cumin, onion and garlic powder and salt.
6. Return beef to pot and bring to a boil. Transfer pot to preheated 325 degree oven for 90 minutes.
7. While beef is in the oven, prepare brussel sprouts. Cut off the ends and remove and yellowing leaves.
8. Place in a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.
9. Transfer to a cookie sheet, cut side down and roast on top rack during the last 30 minutes of cooking time, turning half way.
10. Cook noodles as indicated by package.
11. Drain and transfer to platter.
12. Mix in peas to braised beef and pour over noodles.
13. Arrange brussel sprouts and serve.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.