Even a dieter deserves a little junk food from time to time. But just one piece of candy, one scoop of ice cream or one handful of chips each day can actually add up! Fortunately, there is a way you can treat yourself without breaking your diet. Fox News Magazine went to Registered Dietitian Cynthia Sass for her favorite “junk food” that tastes great and helps you lose weight!
Love to Eat: Gummy Bears
Way to Cheat: Seitenbacher Gummi Fruits
- Why it's better for you: Made with 100 percent fruit juice and no added sugar or artificial additives, these gummy candies deliver on both taste and nutrition. They also come in fun shapes including gators, dolphins and lions. One serving provides only 142 calories.
Love to Eat: Ice Cream
Way to Cheat: Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss "Ice Cream"
- Why it's better for you: This dairy-free version is just as satisfying as premium ice cream, but studies show the good fat from coconut milk is heart-protective and linked to less belly fat. It's so rich you’ll be more than satisfied with a 200-calorie half-cup portion.
Love to Eat: Chips
Way to Cheat: Food Should Taste Good Buffalo Tortilla Chips
- Why it's better for you: These zesty tortilla chips are made from whole corn, a member of the whole grain family, along with cayenne pepper, garlic and heart-healthy high oleic sunflower oil.
Love to Eat: Frozen Novelties
Way to Cheat: Diana's Banana Babies
- Why it's better for you: These dark-chocolate-covered bananas on a stick are the perfect treat for health-conscious kids or adults. Bursting with vitamins and potassium, one “baby” counts as a whole serving of fruit. The dark chocolate is a great source of heart-healthy fats and antioxidants, too.
Love to Eat: Chocolate Bars
Way to Cheat: QBel Covered Wafers
- Why it's better for you: This brand's yummy Double Dark Chocolate Wafer Bar is just as satisfying, for 30 fewer calories with zero trans fat and no artificial additives or animal-derived ingredients.
About the Expert: This information was provided by Cynthia Sass, MPH, RD. She is a New York City and Los Angeles-based nutritionist and author. Her latest New York Times best selling book is S.A.S.S! Yourself Slim: Conquer Cravings, Drop Pounds and Lose Inches. Cynthia is also a Contributing Editor for SHAPE Magazine and the nutrition consultant for the New York Rangers and Tampa Bay Rays. For more information, visit her website at www.CynthiaSass.com.