Asparagus Braised with Fresh Rosemary and Bay Leaves
Published February 18, 2010
- A large skillet with a lid
- 16 plump spears (about 2 pounds) fresh white or green asparagus
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Several sprigs fresh rosemary
- Several bay leaves, preferably fresh
- Rinse the asparagus and trim the tough ends.
- In a skillet large enough to hold the asparagus in a single layer, combine the oil, asparagus, salt, rosemary, and bay leaves. Sprinkle with several tablespoons of cold water. Cover.
- Cook over high heat just until the oil and water mixture begins to sizzle.
- Reduce the heat to medium and braise the asparagus, turning from time to time, just until the vegetable begins to brown in spots, 8 to 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus). Serve immediately.
From "Vegetable Harvest"