Miami-Dade County has released the locations of five sites in South Beach where mosquitoes were found to be infected with the Zika virus.

The statement Wednesday from Mayor Carlos Gimenez's office says that mosquitoes caught in traps at those locations tested positive for Zika on separate dates between Aug. 22 and Sept. 9.

More on this...

Officials had previously only disclosed one site, the Miami Beach Botanical Garden. Gimenez's statement said state health officials had instructed the county to withhold the other locations.

In an email released by a health department spokeswoman, state surgeon general Dr. Celeste Philip wrote Gimenez on Tuesday afternoon that the disclosure of all the trap locations was encouraged, but decision was "solely the county's to make."

All the traps were located within an initially small outbreak zone that now extends through much of Miami Beach.