Just because you're eating gluten free this Memorial Day doesn't mean you have to miss out on all the great BBQ choices. Here are some great buys to help you spice it up this holiday weekend:
1. Tessemae’s: Grab a bottle of Tessemae’s Matty's BBQ sauce and wow your guests with flavor for your neighborhood BBQ. It's gluten-free, vegan, paleo, and even sugar-free (they use date puree). But don't misunderstand.... there's nothing "Bar-B-Cute" about the sauce, it brings all the bite you need. You won’t find any fake ingredients in this tasty sauce either; just all natural goodness for all your BBQ needs.
2. Earthbound Farm: The new multi-serve organic salad kits from Earthbound Farm come in three festive flavors just in time for summer BBQ's: Garden Party Salad (fresh greens, dried blueberries and cranberries, sunflower seeds, feta cheese and a raspberry vinaigrette), Sun-Washed Mediterranean Salad (fresh greens, sundried tomatoes, roasted chickpeas, feta cheese and a Greek olive dressing) and Kale Caesar (baby kale, cabbage, shredded carrots, sunflower seeds, Parmesan cheese, multigrain croutons and a spicy light Caesar dressing). These easy to serve salad kits are perfect for weeknight dinners or weekend entertaining. All you have to do is open the bag and transfer the salad mix to a serving bowl, toss with the dressing and enjoy. You can use these kits to add to recipes for tacos, fajitas and whole grains or serve them alone as a main meal salad with grilled organic chicken.
3. OPA by Litehouse Greek Yogurt Dressing: No BBQ is complete without delicious salads bursting with summer flavors. Dress yours to impress with creamy, delicious gluten-free salad dressing that all your guests will love; these dressings use Greek yogurt for a lower calorie dressing with more protein. OPA dressings are gluten free, have no Trans fats, MSG or artificial preservatives and only 0-1 gram of sugar per serving. They are made fresh with high-quality ingredients and are available in delicious flavors: Feta Dill, Blue Cheese, Ranch and Caesar, Kalamata Feta, Roasted Pepper and Jalapeño Ranch in the refrigerated area in the produce section of the food store.
4. Omission Beer: This craft beer is perfect to serve at your summer BBQ’s. Many people are looking for a healthy beer that meets their high standards for taste and satisfaction; anyone from the craft connoisseur to the paleo dieter will enjoy the handcrafted taste. Omission takes out the gluten and leaves in real beer taste.
5. Sabra Guacamole: This chunky, fresh-tasting guacamole comes in two flavors: Classic and Spicy. They’re made from Hass avocados and taste just like homemade guacamole. You can serve a spoonful of guacamole on top of your burgers or serve in a bowl with sliced raw veggies and tortilla chips for an appetizer.
6. Lifeway Watermelon Kefir: Summer is synonymous with watermelon, and Lifeway is celebrating the season with a limited-edition Low-fat Watermelon Kefir that will hit store shelves soon. This summertime treat is lightly sweetened with only 8 grams of additional sugar and has just 20 fat calories in each 140-calorie serving. It's also 99 percent lactose-free, gluten-free and all natural with 12 live and active probiotic cultures, 11 grams of protein, and 30 percent of your daily recommended calcium, plus the natural watermelon flavor everyone loves - no melon carving needed!
7. Lee Kum Kee: Looking to spice up your BBQ spread? Lee Kum Kee offers an array of condiments, but their sriracha-infused sauces are BBQ must-haves. Not only does sriracha add a fiery kick to each meal, it contains red peppers which are known to help boost metabolism and aid in weight loss—think of swimsuit season! Keeping this in mind, swap your traditional mayo for the Sriracha Mayo. It combines traditional flavors of sriracha with the cool and creamy texture of mayo, to create a spicy yet versatile condiment! The Sriracha Chili Ketchup adds a lively bite to salad dressings, marinades and dips. These sauces are perfect for any BBQ—you can serve them with fries, on burgers, hotdogs or as an ingredient in a pasta salad.
8. Plentils: These gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free and nut-free chips are made from lentils. Since ancient times, lentils have been one of the best sources of plant-based protein and is a staple in diets throughout the world. Enjoy Life has captured the essence of this vital legume’s all-natural goodness and turned it into a unique, protein-packed, crunchy experience. Plentils chips are loaded with flavor and are truly a tasty “better-for-you” treat. They come in four flavors: Garlic & Parmesan, Dill & Sour Cream, Light Sea Salt and Margherita Pizza.
9. Crunchmaster 7 Ancient Grains Crackers: These crackers are vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free. They’re perfect for snacking on alone or enjoying with hummus, guacamole and salsa. They are light and crispy and have just a pinch of sea salt to bring out the hearty multi-grain taste. Serve these crackers with a mango salsa or almond butter as the weather warms up!
10. KIND Nuts & Spices Bars: These bars are the perfect dessert for your Memorial Day BBQ as they are a mix of the highest quality whole nuts and naturally delicious spices like cinnamon, chili pepper and Madagascar vanilla bound in honey. With 5 grams of sugar or less, this nutritious snack is tasty, satisfying and always gluten-free and non-GMO.
11. Enzymedica: Last but not least, if you’ve thoroughly enjoyed your BBQ and overindulged in foods that aren’t agreeing with you, try Acid Soothe (and next time, try digestive enzymes like Digest Gold before you eat to help digest your meal). Acid Soothe contains natural vegetarian enzymes and botanicals to support digestion and soothe the symptoms of occasional gastrointestinal (GI) distress including the three B’s: bloating, burning and burping. Digest Gold contains natural digestive enzymes to help break down food, increase energy and promote regularity.
Amie Valpone is a celebrity chef and nutrition expert who healed herself from a decade of chronic illness. She is the author of the new cookbook Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body and the founder of TheHealthyApple.com. Amie has been featured in numerous magazines and TV. Visit Amie on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.