Okay, so you went a bit wild and now your diet is a bust – or is it?
Dieting isn’t a sprint, it’s a marathon. When you approach healthier eating habits as a way of life, rather than a quick, short term solution to drop a few pounds, you realize that a bad few days needn’t derail your diet. A bad day is only that—one bad day. In the big picture, it is just a blip on your screen.
I tell my clients they should aim to eat well 90 percent of the time, which leaves 10 percent for indulgent days and occasional slips. Figure there are 365 days a year and you have 36.5 days when you don’t have to eat perfectly well!
If you do slip, here are some easy ways to get your diet back on track:
Combining fiber and protein at breakfast helps satisfy hunger longer while giving your metabolism an extra kick. Try this breakfast: 2 high fiber wraps with egg whites or some smoked salmon.
Dehydration can mimic the symptoms of hunger and drinking plenty of water can help you feel comfortably full.
Fill up on fiber
Dietary fiber has zero calories, which is why fiber-rich foods are filling on relatively few calories. Delicious high fiber foods include: raspberries, pears, apples, beans, artichokes, broccoli, spinach, and more.
Grab a snack
Have a filling snack around mid-afternoon and you won’t be ravenously hungry come dinner. Good choices include a serving of whole grain crackers and low-fat cheese or a half-cup of Greek yogurt topped with crunchy high-fiber cereal or berries.
Go light at night
Fill up on a light and nutritious meal that combines fiber and lean protein, such as broiled fish with a side of fiber-rich veggies such as spinach or broccoli.
For delicious high fiber meal plans, recipes and tips on healthy eating, drinking and losing weight, check out my latest book, The Miracle Carb Diet: Make Calories and Fat Disappear – with Fiber!
Tanya Zuckerbrot MS, RD, is a registered dietitian in New York City and the bestselling author of The Miracle Carb Diet: Make Calories and Fat Disappear – with fiber as well as the F-Factor Diet. Follow Tanya on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, and register for new weekly newsletter by visiting her website Ffactor.com.
Tanya Zuckerbrot MS, RD, is a Registered Dietitian in New York City and the author of two bestselling diet books: The F-Factor Diet and The Miracle Carb Diet: Make Calories and Fat Disappear – with Fiber.