Published February 06, 2014
A 47-year-old man in Nepal who downed a bottle of whiskey after a bet with a friend has died from medical complications three weeks after the drinking challenge.
Pancharam Bishwokarma, owner of a gold shop in the town of Gopeta, agreed to drain a 750 milliliter bottle of Royal Stag on January 16 if his friend paid the $7.75 bill.
"Bishwokarma then left for home that afternoon. But by 8 p.m., he was vomiting. He could not sleep and was rushed to a local hospital," said local police officer Sanjeev Khadka.
The doctors at the district hospital referred him to another hospital in a town in the southern plains. From there, he was again moved to a hospital in Siliguri, a town in the Indian state of West Bengal.
"We found that he had consumed the concentrated alcohol, which was 42 percent, without any food, finishing it in five minutes. It damaged his vital organs," said Dr. Pashupati Chaudhary, a doctor at the second hospital, B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Science in Dharan.