Published January 10, 2014
A man in Australia had to be rushed to hospital in terrible pain after a large cockroach crawled into his ear as he slept, and an attempt to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner failed.
Medical treatment initially only caused the inch-long insect to burrow further into the head of Hendrik Helmer.
The unwelcome invader was eventually extracted by a doctor with forceps, but only after Helmer had endured the unpleasant sensation of it being in the "throes of death-twitching."
His ordeal began in the early hours of Wednesday morning when he was woken by a sharp pain in his right ear, according to Australian TV.
He said: "I was hoping it was not a poisonous spider ... I was hoping it didn't bite me."