Published August 25, 2013
Eighty-one people have been hospitalized after eating guinea pig meat at an Ecuadorean festival in Minneapolis this month.
According to WCCO in Minnesota, officials with the city’s Department of Health said many of the sick have tested positive for salmonella poisoning.
The Ecuadorean Independence Festival was held Aug. 11 at the New York Plaza Produce store on East Lake Street.
Meanwhile, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the festival’s host – one Nieves Riera – could face fines and other sanctions for, “selling unapproved and mishandled food.”