Mom sues pharmacy alleging morphine overdose killed her daughter

Jadalyn Williams

Jadalyn Williams  (My Fox Houston)

A Houston mother is suing a pharmacy for $1 million, claiming that an overdose of prescription medications killed her daughter.

Jadalyn Williams died in April of 2012 from a morphine overdose at the tender age of six.

"I miss her.. She was full of life." said her mother Simone Allen, wiping away tears.

The autopsy report said the cause of death was morphine toxicity. Jadelyn had been taking morphine sulfate for the pain from her sickle cell anemia.

Her mom had been getting Jadelyn's prescriptions filled at the Cullen Care Pharmacy for the last five years. She and her lawyers allege a prescription error, and the autopsy report backs that up.

"The pathological findings clearly show that it was an extremely high dose that was given to Jadalyn, a 6-year-old girl that could not survive after receiving that dose." said her lawyer Mo Aziz.

Aziz says the dosage was 10 times higher than it should have been.

These kind of mistakes do happen -- more often than you might think.

According to the Institute of Medicine over 4,000 people are injured daily nationwide due to medication or pharmacy errors. And in 2012, the same year this happened, the Texas State Board of Pharmacy closed 196 complaints of pharmacy prescription error, specifically the wrong dosage.

Click for more from My Fox Houston.