Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Pet Health

Dog to make full recovery after eating 2 lbs. of rocks

  • Dog Rocks 1.jpg

    An X-ray of Gordon's stomach. (My Fox Twin Cities)

  • Dog Rocks 2.jpg

    Gordon the dog. (My Fox Twin Cities)

  • Dog Rocks 3.jpg

    The rocks from Gordon's stomach. (My Fox Twin Cities)

A dog with an abnormal appetite that left the pooch with "rock hard abs" underwent emergency surgery at BluePearl Veterinary hospital in Eden Prairie, Minn., on Wednesday to remove 16 rocks weighing almost 2 lbs.

The 7-year-old golden retriever named Gordon likely ate river rocks out of a garden, but the dog's owner was perplexed by the pooch's stony meal since food is always accessible.

Dr. Jeff Yu performed the successful two-hour operation.

"You don't see too many dogs eat this many rocks usually," Yu remarked. "Most dogs will stop after one or two, but Gordon certainly had quite the hankering."

Gordon is expected to make a full recovery.

According to the ASPCA, pica -- consuming non-food items -- is a disorder that can arise in pets and may be a sign that a dog's diet is lacking in a nutrient. It can also be a sign of a digestive disorder, a parasitic infestation, a metabolic disorder, or poisoning.

Pica usually occurs in puppies and young dogs that are bored, but it can develop into compulsive behavior. In pets that seem frequently and intensely motivated to find and eat specific inedible objects, special training may be needed to correct that behavior.

Click for more from My Fox Twin Cities.