One of the most precious gifts you can give to yourself and others, is the gift of health. To me, Mother’s Day is the perfect time to consider making some changes to your life.
Here are some examples of ways you can keep yourself healthy:
1. Get your mammogram. If you’re a woman over the age of 40, you should talk to your doctor about scheduling a mammography. Breast cancer can be beaten – especially if it is caught in early stages.
2. Check your cardiovascular health. One of the leading causes of death for women is cardiovascular disease. Go to your doctor and get your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked. If you already have heart disease, make sure you don’t miss appointments with your cardiologist. If you are on medications for cardiovascular disease, don’t forget to take them.
3. Make a resolution to lose weight. Obesity continues to be one of the most difficult conditions affecting a vast majority of women, and ultimately can lead to type 2 diabetes. It can be hard to lose weight, but it’s achievable. The trick: On a daily basis, you must achieve a balance between calories consumed versus calories burned. Try to exercise three times per week. Change your diet. The Mediterranean diet, which combines lean proteins, vegetables and good oils, continues to be one of the best diets for your health. If you are struggling with severe obesity, set up a consultation with a doctor. There are many procedures that can help you lose those extreme pounds – just look at New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who recently underwent lap-band surgery.
4. Manage joint pain. You don’t need to suffer with arthritis or fibromyalgia. Joint degeneration is a chronic problem that happens as people age. These conditions can be quite challenging for women in particular. There are many new medications and supplements that can help relieve your pain and rebuild some of that lost cartilage. But, the longer you wait to see a doctor about it, the worse it will become.
5. Take care of your mental health. We live in a world where many women suffer in silence with depression and anxiety. One of the most important things you can do for yourself, and your family, is to have a healthy mental state. If you feel that you need to talk to a medical professional, please do. Don’t hold back due to fears or sadness. Talking to someone could help you open up and dramatically change your outlook on life.
As you think about yourself, think about others. There are many women who have lost family, or live alone, and they should be remembered on Mother’s Day, too.
As you do these things for yourself, try to encourage others to do the same. Have a Happy Mother’s Day.
Dr. Manny Alvarez serves as Fox News Channel's Senior Managing Editor for Health News. Prior to this position, Alvarez was a FNC medical contributor. Click here more information on Dr. Manny's work with Hackensack University Medical Center. Visit AskDrManny.com for more.