Cigarette-smoking man burned while using oxygen tank

Published April 12, 2013

| Associated Press

A southwestern Illinois fire chief says a man sustained facial and head burns when a cigarette he was smoking ignited oxygen from a tank he was using as a breathing aid.

The (Alton) Telegraph reports the man, described only as in his mid-50s, was injured Wednesday.

Fire Chief Rich Mersinger says the victim appeared to have suffered first- and second-degree burns.

The man was treated at the scene before being taken to an Alton hospital. His medical status is not immediately clear.

Mersinger considers the case a reminder that people should refrain from smoking when they're using oxygen or are indoors where it's in use. He says oxygen is a fire hazard.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/04/12/cigarette-smoking-man-burned-while-using-oxygen-tank/