Kick off the festive holiday season with this decadent Latino classic.
Although not healthy by any means, it just wouldn’t be the holidays without some coquito. In this recipe, we did manage to cut back a bit on the sweet and replaced by using fat free milk. Here’s to saving a few calories this holiday season. Serves 6.
• 1-15 oz. Canned cream of coconut
• 1-14 oz. Canned condensed milk
• 3 Cups fat free milk
• 6 oz. White rum (optional)
• ¼ tsp. Ground cinnamon (plus more for sprinkling)
• ¼ tsp. Ground cloves
• Dash ground nutmeg
• 1 tsp. Coconut or vanilla extract
• Sugar in the raw (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients in a blender except sugar in the raw.
2. Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight before serving.
3. Rim glasses with sugar in the raw. Pour and serve cold.
Hint: You may need to blend again.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.