Published October 23, 2012
Fire officials say a Virginia man was severely burned when an oil tank he was using a cutting torch on exploded in Somerset County.
It happened about 1 p.m. Saturday in Marion Station. The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office says the 21-year-old man from Tasley, Va. and his father were using an acetylene torch to cut an oil tank which had previously been used to store gasoline. The tank exploded and ignited nearby building.
WBOC-TV reports that the younger man was flown to the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Burn Unit in Baltimore with second & third degree burns to more than 90 percent of his body. His father was taken to Bayview Medical Center.