Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Infectious Disease

More health warnings sent to past Yosemite guests

Yosemite File.jpg

 (Reuters)

Public health workers are warning more recent visitors to Yosemite National Park that they may have been exposed to a deadly rodent-borne disease. 

Two guests have died of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome and at least one was sickened.

Officials sent emails and letters on Wednesday to 1,000 people who stayed in tent cabins in Curry Village. That's in addition to 1,700 Curry Village guests who had previously been sent such a warning.

It's unclear whether authorities extended the dates of potential exposure beyond June, July and August.

The disease can be transmitted through the feces, urine and saliva of deer mice and other rodents.