Axial and coronal images (A, B) from intravenous contrast-enhanced computed tomography show a wire grill-cleaning brush bristle in the omentum (arrows), surrounded by soft tissue stranding (inflammation); a specimen radiograph (C) from omental resection confirms complete foreign object retrieval (arrow).CDC
TACOMA, Wash. – A Tacoma man says he needed emergency surgery after accidentally eating a steel bristle from a grill brush he used during a barbecue.
KING 5 reports that Adam Wojtanowicz's went to the hospital Sunday complaining of abdominal pain that wouldn't go away despite his taking medication. Doctors found a metal bristle and performed emergency surgery.
Adam says he recently hosted a cookout, and he thinks a steel bristle from his grill brush fell onto his steak. He says he apparently swallowed the metal without realizing it.
The Centers for Disease Control says it knows of at least six people who have recently suffered similar, potentially fatal, injuries from brush bristles. It doesn't blame a particular brand or type of brush.
Wojtanowicz is expected to make a full recovery.