Use lean meats filled with veggies and you can’t go wrong this Memorial Day weekend.
Use lean meats filled with veggies and you can’t go wrong this Memorial Day weekend. The marinade enables the meat to tenderize while providing deep flavor that is relatively low in sodium.
1. 1 pound center cut pork chops, cubed
2. 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
3. 1 pound beef round cubes
4. 20-30 garlic cloves
5. 2 teaspoons kosher salt
6. 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
7. 1 cup orange juice
8. 2 fresh limes, squeezed
9. 2 fresh lemons, squeezed
10. 1 cup onion, minced
11. 2 teaspoons oregano
12. 1 cup olive oil
13. 1 red, green, and yellow bell pepper
14. 1 package button mushrooms
15. Grape tomato, 1 for each skewer
1. Using a mortar and pestle, mash garlic, salt, and peppercorns into a paste.
2. Transfer to a medium sized bowl and stir in juices (orange, lemon and lime).
3. Finally, add minced onion and oregano and set aside.
4. Cube meats and place them in separate bowls.
5. Cut up veggies and place in a rectangular serving dish.
6. After about 30 minutes, whisk in 1 cup of olive oil and pour over the meats and veggies. Marinate in the refrigerator for six hours or overnight.
7. Skewer meats separately alternating veggies.
8. Top each one with a mushroom.
9. Grill meats over medium heat until done.
10. Finish off with one grape tomato for each skewer.
11. Serve with chimichurri sauce on the side.
Elizabeth Carrion, a Dominican, co-founded Mi Cocina, a New Jersey-based catering service that also offers cooking classes, with her sister, Ana Martinez. Follow her on Twitter: @micocinalatina and visit her website micocina-latina.com.