A Minnesota company recalled cooked eggs distributed in 34 states because of possible listeria contamination.
Michael Foods, of Minnetonka, is recalling eggs in brine sold in 10- and 25-pound pails for institutional use under the brand names: Columbia Valley Farms; GFS; Glenview Farms; Papetti's; Silverbrook; and Wholesome Farms.
The recall includes eggs distributed to the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Jersey, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and West Virginia.
Wegman’s, a New York-based grocery chain, also recalled cooked eggs as a result of the recall. Deviled eggs, egg salad and several deli salads containing these eggs, which were produced by Michael Foods and sold between Jan. 23 and Feb. 1 at several Wegman’s stores.
The company says the eggs could be contaminated with a listeria strain that can sicken people with weak immune systems.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said there have been no reports of illness connected to the eggs.
“The short-term solution for this is to get rid of all of these products because we can’t take any chances,” said Dr. Manny Alvarez, senior managing health editor of FoxNews.com. “A listeria infection can be quite dramatic – especially in pregnant women. It can lead to miscarriages and fetal infections, and you have to take into consideration that a lot of these egg salad products are broadly used by young people. And, if you happen to have a weakened immune system, it could be deadly.”
Recalled products include:
* DeLish brand Egg Salad on HoneyWheat Sandwich, UPC code 0.49022-51925.1, enjoy-by date 1/17/12 through 2/5/12
* DeLish brand Tuna Salad on Multigrain Bread Sandwich, UPC code 0.49022-51928.2, enjoy-by date 1/22/12 through 2/5/12
* 7.66 oz. Take Away Café Egg Salad Sandwiches with the sell-by date of 1/25/12 through 2/7/12. Barcode UPC : 745466128195
* 5.68 oz. Quick Café Egg Salad Wedge with an enjoy-by-date of 1/22/12 through 2/4/12. Barcode UPC: 073508830042
* Hard-Cooked Eggs (sold by the pound in prepared foods or as a choice on deli bars)
* Deviled Eggs (special-order deli tray,6-pack, or 12 pack)
* Cobb Salad (10 oz, 43 oz, and 6.5 lb)
* Garden Salad (10 oz, 20 oz, 2 lb, and 5 lb)
* Baby Spinach Salad (9 oz, 1.8 lb, and 3.9 lb)
* Chef Salad (9 oz. and 18 oz.)
* Egg Salad (sold by the pound in prepared foods)
* Egg Salad Sub
* Kosher Macaroni Salad (sold by the pound in kosher deli)
* Kosher Pickled Eggs (sold by the pound in kosher deli)
The Associated Press contributed to this article.