Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Pet Health

Surgery Rescues Wedding Ring Inside Family Pet

A 10-month-old basset hound named Coraline underwent surgery in Albuquerque, N.M., after munching on the wrong thing.

It was not the homework the family dog ate, but a $4,500 diamond wedding ring, KOB-TV reported.

"She was the only one in our room, so we immediately looked at her - and she looked guilty."

- Rachelle Atkinson

The ring disappeared from Rachelle Atkinson's nightstand a few weeks ago and after searching high and low, suspicion fell on the family pooch.

"She was the only one in our room, so we immediately looked at her - and she looked guilty," Atkinson said.

For 10 days husband, Scott, went through a lot of dog poop searching for the ring, but after no success there, an X-ray revealed the ring was not moving on its own.

"It was lying in the bottom of her stomach, and it was just too heavy to pass so we had to take her in for surgery," Atkinson said.

Basset hounds were bred to hunt rabbits, but the Atkinsons' vet said the breed was also prone to eating rocks and at least one other U.S. dog -- a 1-year-old named Sophie in Colorado Springs -- needed surgery in 2010 after eating 31 rusty roofing nails, her rabies tag and rock-like siding from the house.

Click here to read more on this story.