Mind and Body

Patient Accidentally Swallows Part of Dentist's Drill

A Swedish man suffered a nightmare ordeal when he accidentally swallowed part of a dentist's drill, The Local reported.

The patient was having a routine procedure on his teeth when the drill bit suddenly came loose in his mouth.

Before either the dentist or his assistant could reach in to pluck it out, the unsuspecting patient had accidentally swallowed the metal attachment, the Swedish news website said.

The man was rushed to the hospital for an X-ray following the bizarre mishap in the central province of Vastmanland. Medics located the missing part in his stomach, but reassured him that it posed no risk.

The misplaced drill bit was expected to come out "the natural way," Vastmanland County Council said.

Despite the patient suffering no ill-health, the October 2010 incident was subsequently reported to Sweden's National Board of Health and Welfare for investigation, The Local said.

Neither the dentist, nor the unfortunate patient, were identified.

Click here to read more on this story.