An Arizona woman reached for eye drops and instead used superglue -- and it happens a lot more often than you might think, MyFoxPhoenix.com reported.
Irmgard Holm had cataract surgery last year. She mistakenly reached for what she thought was one of her half dozen eye drop medications -- but the burning sensation that followed let her know something was seriously wrong.
It was superglue.
"The bottles are identical and I am not young anymore, but I am not senile," Holm said.
She tried washing the adhesive out, but the quick-drying glue did its job and sealed her eye shut.
Paramedics and hospital staff had to get it open and wash out her eye before major damage was done.
The Food and Drug Administration will interview Holm later this week, and she hopes her case and the others will put pressure on glue makers to change their bottles' shape and size.
A number of medical journals and case students have brought the medicine-glue bottle mix-up to the forefront over the last several years.
Click here to read more on this story from MyFoxPhoenix.com