Maybe pumpkin is not your thing, but this dish by Sun Basket incorporates the flavors of fall in a subtle yet intentional way.
- ¾ pound peeled chopped butternut squash
- Squash seasoning blend (cinnamon - cumin)
- 1 to 2 shallots
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh basil
- 1 lime
- Pumpkin seed sauce base (chipotle chiles in gluten-free adobo - roasted red bell peppers - pumpkin seeds - fresh garlic - canola olive oil blend - salt)
- 4 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Roast the squash
- Heat the oven to 425ºF. In a bowl, combine the butternut squash with the squash seasoning blend and 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread the squash on a sheet pan in an even layer. Roast in the oven until browned and tender, 18 to 20 minutes. While the squash roasts, make the sauce.
Make the pumpkin seed sauce
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shallot and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin seed sauce base and ½ cup water (add more water for a thinner sauce). Cook at a gentle simmer until the flavors meld, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in half the cilantro and half the basil.
Warm the tortillas
- On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry pan over medium heat, warm the tortillas until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer the pumpkin seed sauce to individual plates and top with the squash. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and basil, and serve with the yogurt, tortillas, and lime wedges on the side.