While on vacation, or just on a normal weekend, make yourself or family these delicious mini treats to enjoy alone or alongside your usual breakfast.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup (additional) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (heaping) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (scant) baking soda
- 2.5 teaspoons salt
- 2 sticks butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make the dough: heat milk, canola oil, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a large saucepan until just before boiling (but do not boil.) Remove from heat and set aside to cool a bit until warm/lukewarm.
- Sprinkle yeast over the top of the liquid, then add 4 cups of flour. Stir to combine, then cover pan with a dishtowel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, stir in additional 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, melt 1 stick of butter and add chopped pecans, corn syrup, and vanilla. Stir to combine, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt additional 1 stick of butter. Set aside.
- To make the rolls, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roll out dough into a 30 x 8-inch rectangle. Pour on 1 stick of melted butter, then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon evenly over the surface. Starting at the far end, roll the dough into a long roll, rolling toward you. You'll end up with a 30-inch-long roll of dough. With a sharp knife, cut into thin slices, about 1/2-inch thick
- Spoon 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the pecan/butter/syrup mixture into mini-muffin tins. Set sliced rolls into each muffin tin, pressing slightly to secure them to the pecans below.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove pans from oven and allow them to cool in the pan at least 20 minutes. Invert carefully so that rolls turn out and pecans stay stuck to the bottoms (which are now the tops!) If a little pecans stick in the tins, just dig them out with a spoon and reapply them to the rolls.