Think you don't have time to whip up some crispy, crunchy fast food restaurant-quality chicken nuggets? Making your own nuggets is easier than you think. And when you make your own at home, you know exactly what's in them. These bad boys are perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce or fresh from the fryer. We do recommend waiting just a few minutes to let them cool down before digging in. Like what you see? Check out more recipes from Grumble.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or ground chicken
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus more flour as needed
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup ice cold soda water
To Prep Chicken
- Dice the chicken and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the water, salt, honey, onion powder, mustard, black pepper and garlic. Pulse the mixture in short bursts until finely chopped.
- Use a small ice cream scoop, or your hands, to roll the chicken paste mixture into 14 balls (about the size of a ping pong ball) and place on a tray lined with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Cover with a second sheet and press to flatten to an even thickness of ½ to 1-inch. Place in freezer to firm.
To Prep Batter
- Combine flour, corn flour, a pinch of salt, pepper and one egg, whisk well to combine. Stir in ½ cup ice cold soda water.
- Remove frozen nuggets from freezer. Lightly coat the frozen nuggets in flour, pat off any excess. Dip the nuggets into batter until fully coated.
To Cook Nuggets
- Deep-fry the nuggets, 8-10 at a time, in 375 degree oil for 6-8 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
To Serve Nuggets
- Drain on a cooling rack, sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauces.