Can't decide between a chicken nugget and a hot dog? Enjoy two of your favorite fast foods in one with this delicious, deep-fried mashup: The NugDog. Like what you see? Check out more recipes from Grumble.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or ground chicken
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour, plus more flour as needed
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup ice cold soda water
To prep chicken
- Dice the chicken and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the water, salt, honey, onion powder, mustard, black pepper and garlic. Pulse the mixture in short bursts until finely chopped.
- Spread the chicken mixture on plastic wrap forming a line that is ½-¾ of an inch thick and ½-¾ of an inch wide.
- Use the plastic wrap to for the mixture into a cylinder. Roll the plastic wrap tightly around and secure the ends with string
- Tie into links by tightening string around the cylinder every 6 inches. Place the links into the freezer to firm for about 30 minutes.
To prep batter
- Combine flour, corn flour, a pinch of salt, pepper and one egg, whisk well to combine. Stir in ½ cup ice cold soda water.
- Remove links from the freezer and use scissors to carefully cut off plastic wrap.
- Lightly coat the frozen chicken dogs in flour, pat off any excess. Dip the nuggets into the batter until fully coated.
Fry it up
- Deep-fry the NugDogs, 2 or 3 at a time, in 375 degree oil for 6-8 minutes-- or until browned and crispy.
- Drain on a cooling rack, sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with your favorite fixings.