Summertime is all about using fresh vegetables. Taking inspiration from a Mexican-style taco, we created a fresh pico topping with a spicy creamy jalapeno cheese sauce. Great way to impress your guests at your next BBQ.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 C milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 C cheddar cheese (I used a combination of regular and sharp cheddar)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, garlic powder, white pepper, salt, and jalapeno pepper, and cook until slightly thickened, about 10-15 minutes.
- To make the pico, in a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper (to taste,) cilantro and green onion. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir until evenly distributed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Assemble the dog:
- Grill your favorite brand of hot dog. Take a flour or corn tortilla and gently spoon over couple tablespoons of the cheese sauce. Top with fresh pico and enjoy!