This is a very straight forward dessert from Executive Chef Daniel Billheimer of Monarch Rooftop Lounge perfect for any time of the year. The notes of sweet are perfectly balanced with the right amount of acid from the keylime, and the handmade graham cracker crust lends an authenticity and depth that really pulls the whole piece together. One bite from this old world Florida classic will put you on the beach with the sun on your face.
- 1.5 cups, graham cracker crumbs
- .25 cup, granulated sugar
- .6 cup, butter, melted
- 1TS, cinnamon
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 14oz can, condensed milk
- 5oz , Manhattan keylime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if using convection set to low fan) Process graham crackers (approx. 24 squares) into crumbs.
- Place in mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix well. Drizzle in butter and mix well to consistency of wet sand.
- Spray muffin tins lightly with pan release and portion graham cracker mix evenly into 8 of the muffin cups. Patiently work the mixture up the sides of each up until there is even coverage and press gently in place.
- Bake off for 8 - 10 minutes until crust is browned. Remove from heat and set aside to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and condensed milk together in a medium mixing bowl until even. Slowly mix in keylime juice. Remove filling mixture to a 4 cup measuring cup and portion evenly into cooled mini crusts. Return muffin tin to oven and bake off pies for 7 minutes.
- Remove when pies are slightly brown and fully set up. Set aside to cool for 1 hour.
- Using a small off set spatula, rim each pie loose from muffin tin. Be sure to reach bottom or the crust might stick and break. Serve with whipped cream, lime zest and a sprinkling of powdered sugar.