Vegetables are no longer considered just a side dish, as the movement to plant-based diets and “eating green” goes mainstream. Make the vegetables the center of your next sandwich with this elevated grilled cheese recipe.
- 1 slice Artesano Style Bread
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 fresh egg, any size
- dash of salt
- 1 cup fresh arugula, rinsed and dried
- 3 to 4 oz sliced or shredded Gruyere cheese
- cracked black pepper, as desired
- Fry the egg in a preheated (medium heat) nonstick skillet and oil, breaking the yolk after the whites have begun to set, if desired.
- Cook to desired opaqueness. Set aside and sprinkle with pepper.
- In the same warm skillet, with the heat slightly reduced, place a slice of bread with one side buttered, butter side down.
- Top with two or three slices, or about and ounce and a half of shredded Gruyere cheese.
MacKenzie Smith is the creator of GrilledCheeseSocial.com and the sandwich expert for about.com. Her work has appeared on Martha Stewart, Real Simple Magazine, Buzzfeed, Thrillist, Eater, Huffington Post, Refinery 29, Spoon University and more. MacKenzie is an ex-Brooklynite currently living in Florida.