Smorgastarta is a savory, sandwich-like cake of Swedish origin — much like a layered cream cake, made up of several distinct layers. Colloquially referred to as a "sandwich cake," the creation is cut like a traditional cake, but boasts a unique flavor profile signaled by whatever garnishes lay on top. From seafood and smoked meats, to cheese, olives, tomato and even caviar, the distinct foreign dish is a favorite for traditional friend and family gatherings. Learn how to make this and other tasty dishes with Brooklyn Kitchen.
- 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2 loaves potato pullman bread, crusts removed and each sliced into 4 lengthwise strips
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise, divided
- ½ lb pate, sliced ¼” thick
- 1 bunch dill, leaves torn, divided
- ½ cup whitefish salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise, divided
- 1 red onion, julienned
- ½ lb smoked salmon
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 12” high-walled skillet
- Medium pot
- Small whisk
- Small offset Spatula
- Egg Slicer
- Serrated Knife
- Small and medium mixing bowls
- Place the eggs in a medium pot and cover with water and distilled vinegar (this will make the eggs easier to peel). Bring the pot to a boil, cover and turn off heat and let sit for 14 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove eggs to a bowl of ice water and let cool completely. Once cooled, carefully peel the egg shells and slice lengthwise into thin strips.
- In a large skillet with high walls, combine 2 cups of water with 1 cup of wine, the peppercorns and bay leaf. Bring mixture to a boil, add the shrimp and lower the heat to just under a simmer and cover. Poach shrimp until pink and opaque, about 4-5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove shrimp to a paper-towel lined plate and lightly season with salt. Let cool then slice in half lengthwise.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream and whip with a small whisk to make it more spreadable.
- To assemble sandwich, line two slices of bread next to each other widthwise to create one long, narrow strip. Using a small offset spatula, spread 3 tbsp mayonnaise even over the bread. Line with pate slices and a few egg slices. Add another strip of bread and follow that layer with the remaining 3 tbsp of mayonnaise, about 8 of the shrimp halves, and a handful of dill leaves. Line the sandwich with another 2 pieces of bread and evenly spread the whitefish salad over the bread, followed by a handful of the tomatoes and red onion slices. Place the remaining 2 slices of bread over as the top layer.
- Using the cream cheese and sour cream mixture, frost the outsides of the torta. Line the center of the top of the torta with the smoked salmon, twirling it with your hands to create tall pieces. Finish the outsides by evenly layering the top and sides with the lemon slices, remaining egg and shrimp slices, and filling in the small spots with the tomato halves, julienned onion and a generous amount of dill.