Christmas is almost here and that means it’s time to make some delicious treats for parties and family get-togethers. This peppermint cream cheese frosting will be hit with guests young and old. The flavor is delightful and you can add it to cupcakes (we used chocolate), cakes, pies and other treats.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 box 10X powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 peppermints, broken into small pieces
- Approximately 1/8 teaspoon of red food coloring
- 24 chocolate cupcakes (your favorite recipe or from a mix)
- 42 additional peppermints for decorating
- Put the softened cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar slowly.
- Blend well and then add the vanilla. Add 1/8 teaspoon of red food coloring.
- Mix well and then add food coloring in small increments until you reach the desired color.
- Unwrap the 12 peppermints and place them in a sandwich bag. Use the flat side of a meat mallet (or something similar) to break the peppermint into small pieces. (Kids love this part!)
- Stir into the cream cheese mixture.
- Frost the cupcakes. Unwrap 18 more peppermints and crush them in a sandwich bag. Pour the pieces onto a small plate and then roll the edges of the cupcakes in the peppermint bits.
- Unwrap the final 24 pieces of peppermint and stand one on top of each cupcake for a garnish.