These aren't your grandma's Brussel sprouts-- but she'll love enjoy this upgraded preparation of a classic vegetable-- and so will the entire family. The recipe is easy to double, or even triple, for a holiday crowd.
- 1 lb of Brussels Sprouts, cleaned and cut into quarters
- 6 Slices of Jamon Serrano, (or Proscuitto, have your deli clerk give you 6 thinly shaven slices)
- 1/8 lb piece Manchego Cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Light Olive Oil
- Sweet Sherry Reduction to taste (recipe follows)
Sweet Sherry Reduction
- 1 cup of Fine Sherry
- ¼ cup of Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Turbinado Sugar
Sherry Reduction Preparation:
- Combine all ingredients into a small pot. Put on medium heat and reduce by 75%. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. It will have a syrupy consistency.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss the quartered Brussels Sprouts in salt & pepper & olive oil. Arrange the seasoned sprouts onto a sheet pan in a single even layer.
- Roast the sprouts in an oven that has been preheated to 450 degrees for 7 – 10 minutes. You are looking for a golden brown color around the edges of the sprouts.
- While the sprouts are roasting, render the Serrano ham in a sauté pan over low – medium heat. When the ham begins to release some of its fat into the pan, add 1 - 2 tbs of light olive oil, and increase the heat to medium – high. Continue to cook the ham, much like you would bacon. When the ham is crispy, remove to a plate lined with absorbent towels.
- When the sprouts come out of the oven, immediately put them into a serving dish.
- Loosely crumble the crispy ham and mix into the dish of sprouts. Add enough of the sweet sherry to coat the ham and sprouts, or to your preference. With
- With a vegetable peeler, shave the Manchego cheese over the sprouts. Serve right away.