When temperatures plunge, the ideal antidote for a winter cold balances some degree of relief with relaxation. According to a Spanish study from 2001, people who drank more than fourteen glasses of red wine per week were sixty percent less likely to get sick, so a curative concoction featuring the antioxidant-filled would seem to fit that bill. Infused with healing ingredients like cracked cardamom, lemon juice, ginger, star anise, honey, apple cider vinegar, and, of course, whiskey, the cold-fighting cocktail blends together seasonal ingredients with the warmth of a mulled drink for a spicy, slightly fruity, rich sippable remedy.
- 8 ounces Brooklyn Winery The Driggs Blend
- 16 cardamom pods, cracked open, exposing the seeds
- 1 ounce of lemon juice
- 2 star anise
- 1.5 ounces honey
- 1 square inch ginger, grated
- Combine all above ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through fine mesh sieve into ceramic mug.
- Add 1 ounce of apple cider vinegar and 1 ounce Irish whisky.