Minna Lee is a virtual rockstar in the kitchen. Pretty much Beyoncé in chef’s clothes. Her blog, Living Minally, is home to healthy and delicious spins on classic dishes. Make this recipe for yourself with Banza gluten free Chickpea Pasta.
- 1 8 oz. box Banza Rotini
- 1lb. Butternut Squash, peeled/seeded/cubed into 1/2″ pieces (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 cup low-sodium free-range chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. bacon, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan or pecorino (optional)
- 1/4 cup shaved pecorino for garnish
- On medium-high heat, heat up olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven. Add bacon in carefully, reduce heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes. Add in maple syrup, stir, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in sage and mix together. Remove bacon mixture using a slotted spoon, and set aside on a small plate.
- Add onion, garlic, and squash to the same skillet over medium heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes until onion is translucent and stir occasionally.
- Pour chicken broth into skillet then bring mixture up to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half and squash is soft (about 15 minutes). Add salt and pepper if you wish. Set mixture aside to let cool while you proceed.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. While waiting for water to boil, you can add the squash mixture to a blender and purée sauce until smooth. Set aside.
- Add Banza rotini to boiling water, and cook for 4-5 minutes until al dente. Drain in a strainer, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Give pasta a quick rinse under warm water.
- In the large reserved skillet, combine Banza, squash purée, and a splash of pasta cooking liquid. Cook over medium heat, stirring mixture and adding pasta cooking liquid as needed until noodles are evenly coated.
- *If you wish to add grated parmesan or pecorino, do so now.
- Plate pasta, top with bacon, optional shaved pecorino, and salt and pepper to taste.