This recipe by Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi is a twist on a classic summertime picnic recipe.
- 2 pounds medium Red Bliss potatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon
- 6 tablespoon Red wine vinegar
- 2 Medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon Smooth (Dijon) mustard
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Chopped capers
- 6 Gherkins, quartered lengthwise and sliced into ¼ inch pieces plus 1 tablespoon of gherkin liquid
- 1 Small bunch chives, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Arrange the potatoes on a single layer on a baking sheet and place it in the center of the oven.
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small pot, reduce the Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon over medium heat until there is only about 2 tablespoons of liquid. In a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes, whisk together the red wine vinegar, shallots, mustard, mayonnaise, capers and gherkins. Whisk in the reduced red wine. Taste for seasoning. When the potatoes are tender and yielding when pierced with the tip of a knife, 30-35 minutes, remove them from the oven. Allow them to cool for a few minutes. Peel half of them. Some potato skin is a nice flavor in the salad.
- Finish the salad: Place the potatoes (halved or quartered, pending size) in the bowl with the dressing and lightly crush them with the tines of a fork. Season lightly with salt and pepper and toss them in the dressing. Sprinkle with the chives.